Death Valley is a place of extremes, being one of the hottest places on earth in the summer yet changing so drastically when the summer rains come. This land of wonders rests in a below-sea-level basin and is subject to steady drought and scorching summer heat, but that’s not all. The surprising contrast between the two extremes would take your breath away if you’re not careful.
The towering peaks are covered in white when the winter snow arrives, and rare rainstorms result in boundless fields of wildflowers. Despite the dark tone to its name, this cradle of nature supports a great variety of life. Death Valley offers its visitors a unique experience with an array of new landscapes to explore. From snowy heights to verdant meadows, Death Valley has it all.
Where to Stay in Death Valley?
It is not called the Death Valley for no reason. There are reports of fatalities in Death Valley year in, year out, as some explorers do not come adequately prepared. Knowing where to spend the night is the most important of all. There are three hotels inside the Death Valley National Park: The Stovepipe Wells Village Hotel in Stovepipe Wells, The Oasis at Death Valley and The Panamint Spring Resorts.
Even if you plan on staying for just a few nights, you may still want to consider lodging inside the part. It is a more convenient option, and you can even retire to your accommodation during the day if it gets too extreme. Any item forgotten can be easily retrieved from the hotel, and a campsite inside Death Valley gives you a comfortable base for getting out late at night or earlier on in the day.
This quaint resort was originally called the Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch Resort. It is a luxury resort in Furnace Creek that is owned privately. It is made up of two resorts: The Inn at Death Valley and The Ranch at Death Valley.
The Inn at Death Valley: This is a historic resource that is located in the heart of the park. It has hosted Hollywood celebrities on their various vacations. It still has a modern feel since it was recently extensively renovated in 2019.
- Features: A cozy outdoor pool is fed by a hot spring and is the perfect temperature for a deep relaxation bath.
- Pricing: Prices start at 399 dollars.
The Ranch at Death Valley: This ranch is located in Furnace Creek. It has very spacious rooms that are comfortably furnished, with some rooms even having patios. It is undeniably one of the most convenient places to spend the night in Death Valley.
- Features: A spring-fed pool outside is heated to a comfortable setting, and misters keep the seating areas outdoor cool when the temperature gets higher.
- Pricing: Prices at this ranch start at 222 dollars.
This spacious hotel is a refreshing West-themed hotel situated by Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Some of the rooms have stunning views of the sand dunes or surrounding mountains, and others face the inner courtyard.
- Features: There is a fabulous heated outdoor pool on the property, and the onsite Toll Road Restaurant has excellent reviews. Bad-water Saloon is the bar and casual eatery on site. There is also a general store at the place, which would meet all your supply needs.
- Pricing: Prices start at 246 dollars.
Panamint Springs Resort
If you enjoy western-style resorts with a rustic vibe, then the Panamint Springs Resort is the perfect choice for you. It is located in the surreal Panamint Valley in the Death Valley National Park.
- Features: It provides camping, lodging and RV services, including a restaurant and bar. However, due to COVID-19 the restaurant will be opened on the weekends.
- Pricing: Prices range from 38 dollars to 44 dollars.
Where to Stay Outside of Death Valley?
There is no need to fret about limited choices in accommodation, as there are plenty of accommodation options outside of Death Valley. Let’s look at where you can stay outside Death Valley while visiting Death Valley.
Lone Pine, Near Yosemite
It is only a 300-mile journey from Yosemite Village to Death Valley. If you want to experience the feeling of driving through a stretch of old-western, arid land, then staying in the town of Lone Pine is something you should consider.
The town of Lone Pine is the perfect gateway to Death Valley. In this town, you can explore the incredible surroundings which make Lone Pine so unique. You can hike through the wooded canyon along Lone Pine Creek, or grab a lunch at the Whitney Portal Store while you’re there. Mount Whitney is also within a one-hour drive of Lone Pine. Here are some;
Best Western Plus Frontier Hotel: This hotel has a comes with a variety of perks, such as the possibility of visiting Mt. Whitney and the Alabama Hills as a result of its proximity to these places. Guests are guaranteed a comfortable and relaxing stay at this hotel. And it has free Wi-Fi throughout the facility
- Pricing: Prices start at 143 dollars.
Quality Inn Lone Pine near Mount Whitney: Guest ratings for this hotel are a 4.2 out of 5.0. It is the perfect place to spend the night with great staff, rooms and service. They offer a breakfast service with free Wi-Fi for the rooms.
- Pricing: Prices start at 118 dollars.
Ridgecrest is located on the Californian side of Death Valley National Park. It is placed just along U.S Route 395 and is an established town with a small population of about 27,000 people.
The town was initially called Crumville, named after Robert and James Crum, who had established the settlement in the early 1900s. They were both dairymen and played a crucial role in creating the community itself. Ridgecrest mostly kept to itself as a town until they opened their first post office in 1947.
Staying in Ridgecrest allows you to visit both the famous Sequoia National Forest and Death Valley as they are equidistant from each other. A bonus is that Los Angeles is just a 2.5-hour trip away from the city, perfect for you if you have an extended trip. If you are a traveller keen to experience the intense wilderness of California while visiting some famous tourist destinations too, then Ridgecrest is perfect for you.
SpringHill Suites Ridgecrest: This elegant hotel seamlessly blends design, functionality and modernity at an affordable price. Guest reviews rate the hotel at 4.6 out of 5.
- Features: It has spacious suites and vibrant lobbies perfect for your business meetings, working or relaxing. It also offers high-speed internet, complimentary breakfast, and a fitness center.
- Pricing: The rates range from 215 dollars a night to 219 dollars a night for a room.
Clarion Inn Ridgecrest: Clarion Inn Ridgecrest is an excellent hotel on the North China Lake Boulevard to spend a night or two.
- Features: It has an outdoor swimming pool, a hot tub, and free Wi-Fi you can use anywhere in the hotel.
- Pricing: Their prices range from 122 dollars to 127 dollars.
Best Western China Lake Inn: This is one of the best choices you can make when deciding where to stay in Ridgecrest, and it is definitely worth the money. The rooms have an almost familiar cozy and homely feel.
- Features: They offer everything you could ask for as a traveler. The beds are very comfortable, with enough pillows for body support. The hotel is air-conditioned throughout, has free parking and free Wi-Fi.
- Pricing: Prices range from 93 dollars to 108 dollars.
The vibrant town of Beatty is located in the state of Nevada and is just a 25-minute drive from the Death Valley National Park. Beatty is an excellent place for travellers to explore Death Valley from morning right into the evening. It is a sleepy desert town that houses just over a thousand people.
The town is a gateway to Death Valley from the Nevada side that is steeped in rich history. As a traveler, you can learn about the town’s gold mining past at the Historical Society and The Beatty Museum. The town had settlers as early as the early 1900s and was an attraction because of the area’s potential for gold deposits.
If you are not easily frightened, take a trip to the ghost town of Rhyolite, which is a must-have adventure while in Beatty. It may not be haunted or creepy, but the area has a certain eeriness to it that will unsettle anyone who has seen their fair share of horror movies.
The neighborhood highlights are the Beatty Museum, Rhyolite Ghost Town, Death Valley and Candle Store, Goldwell Open Air Museum, Bullfrog Hills, Grapevine Peak, Chloride City. There are a few nice hotels that can accommodate you during your visit to Beatty. Hotels like:
Atomic Inn Beatty Near Death Valley: This is a peaceful, cozy hotel hidden in the sleepy town of Beatty that is ideal for travelers who are not too fussy.
- Features: The essentials; a comfy bed, a shower, and a proper internet connection. It is a quaint hotel that may seem outdated but is generally attractive with a certain charm.
- Pricing: Prices range from 79 dollars to 94 dollars.
Exchange Club Motel: Exchange Club Motel is an excellent hotel in the town of Beatty. The rooms are affordable and humble, ideal for travelers on a budget who just need a place to shower and sleep.
- Features: All the rooms in the hotel offer coffee and tea making facilities with a fridge. The rooms are also equipped with 32-inch flat-screen TVs and cable channels.
- Pricing: Rooms start at 68 dollars.
Death Valley Inn and RV Park: This is a perfect accommodation option in Beatty.
- Features: There are both parking spaces, and motel rooms are available for recreational vehicles. Also, the motel has a BBQ terrace, a hot tub, and a swimming pool. You can have pets at the motel, and you get free Wi-Fi.
- Pricing: Prices start at 87 dollars per night.
Make sure to get the travel advice that you need as it relates to coronavirus before you travel. Read more about the travel restrictions in the area before you go because, depending on restrictions, you might not be able to access all the features you want.
This torn is located just 62 miles west Las Vegas. There is a wide variety to choose from if you are staying in Pahrump. In this town, you can soar the skies in a jetpack, or race vehicles in a racetrack. You can also get a taste of some of their award-winning wines. Its close proximity to the Death Valley National Park means you can enjoy the best of both worlds. Here are some of the places you can stay in Pahrump:
K-7 Bed and Breakfast: It offers a quiet, relaxing place to spend the night in the beautiful city.
- Pricing: Rooms start at 79 dollars for a night.
Best Western Pahrump Oasis: This hotel has easy access to key attractions like Death Valley and Spring Mountain Racetrack.
- Pricing: Rooms start at 99.99 dollars.
Death Valley Junction
This tiny community in Inyo County, California is just east of Death Valley National Park. It is also known by the name Amargosa.
Amargosa Opera House and Hotel: It is a Spanish Colonial-style hotel that has a real artsy but modest vibe.
- Pricing: From $86.
As the famous saying goes, whatever happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. There are many reasons why Las Vegas is known as the Sin City. There is an endless array of casinos and shows to stumble upon in the Entertainment Capital of the world.
Highlights you can also visit while in Las Vegas include; Bellagio Hotel and Casino, Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, Luxor Hotel and Casino, Lake Mead. Here are some of the places you can stay in Las Vegas
Four Seasons Hotel Las Vegas: This is a trendy choice for travellers to Las Vegas. It offers rooms with scenic mountain views and some with city views. There is a whole lot to love about Four Seasons.
- Features: The hotel offers a well-equipped outdoor swimming pool and an in-house restaurant that has delectable cocktails.
- Pricing: The rooms at the Four Seasons Hotel start at 2,155 dollars.
The Venetian Resort: As soon as you walk into the lobby of this hotel, it captures your attention with its beauty.
- Features: The rooms here are huge and the bathrooms are spacious and clean.
- Pricing: Prices for this hotel start at 167 dollars.
Downtown Grand Hotel and Casino: The rooms here have a contemporary style, with maximum attention to detail to improve comfort.
- Pricing: Prices start at 76 dollars.
Note: Some hotel features might not be available or might be modified due to COVID-19. Mask requirements can also vary based on state and local regulations. You can always call the hotel directly for more information.